Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Congressman


Congressman Jim Hanley was unquestionably one of the best House representatives Central NY ever hosted, and the James M. Hanley Federal Building in Syracuse honors his reputation. In the sixties and seventies I inundated his D.C. and Syracuse offices with letters regarding the UFO subject, and whether I had concerns about the topic in general or needed government documents relating in large or small ways to UFOs, he kindly fulfilled my requests as often as possible, even when "butting heads" with military or government officials to gain information.

The June, 1965 letter shown here is typical, and in this case he obtained several Air Force regulations for me. He also acknowledged receiving a copy of NICAP's UFO Investigator I had sent to keep him informed. Like many members of both the House and Senate, he was intrigued by the UFO evidence, but maintained a reluctance to comment or take action publicly. Nevertheless, I deeply appreciated the late Mr. Hanley's assistance over the years and I'll be putting more of his letters on display in months to come.

(Also of note: His influence in developing the original Freedom of Information Act, resulting in the release of a treasure trove of UFO-related government documents to grateful researchers.)