Monday, August 14, 2023

Slap-Down, July 1965

Long before Air Force basic training spent a few weeks beating me down in 1968, I was already being emotionally emasculated by government officials whom I pestered about UFOs on occasion.  One of my favorite letters, sent to my congressman after I raised questions, came from the then powerful chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, L. Mendel Rivers.  

Considering the sober tone of recent congressional hearings on the UFO phenomenon and its implications, it doesn't take much to dismiss Rivers' comments, underlined in red -- and, by the way, the very Air Force which Rivers took obvious delight in holding up as the arbiter of all that flies in the skies has been conspicuously absent during the new hearings, maybe to the extent that a blue USAF uniform should appear on milk cartons promoting the missing.  

Keep 'em flyin' -- if you can find 'em!