Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Hero Worship Factory

Kobe Bryant is dead, and for his family and friends Bryant's parting under particularly tragic circumstances makes his demise all the worse.

Those of you who read these pages regularly (or stop by to access links in the margin and soon advance to ignore me entirely) may know that nothing non-impresses me more than professional sports and the quest to put a ball in a hole or transport a ball from here to there, generally for giant sums of money.  It's just nuts to me.

This week, thanks in no small way to the mainstream factory media which always goes into overdrive when celebrity deaths occur, one would think that Bryant was master of the universe.  Call me cold and heartless, but all I saw was a man who died in a helicopter accident, a name well known for doing good things but nevertheless acquired his fame and fortune primarily by driving, directing or pounding balls into holes.  And the crowds went wild.

Soldiers who die in plane crashes are my heroes and should receive national recognition.  Celebrities who die in crashes are rarely heroes in any respect. but they are, well, celebrities.  The mainstream media in particular is rarely able to distinguish between heroes and celebrities.

In our misguided society, I'm pretty sure that if a man or woman found a cure for all cancers and then died in an explosive self-driving car wreck, their name would disappear from the nightly news after about two days, if that.  Few seem to care as much about scientific breakthroughs, great mathematicians, astronomical achievements or poisoned dog treats from China as much as they do about whose genitals are bigger on the athletic field (I guess I could follow this up with that ball-in-the-hole thing, but I'll forfeit the opportunity).

I'm not big on organized religion, but even I would caution that making gods out of living or deceased celebrities tends to push God, however one perceives God, out of the way and maybe over the cliff.

China and the new coronavirus:  So. . .if they come up with a new vaccine in a few weeks, will the hero scientists responsible receive all the kudos awarded to dead celebs?  I doubt it.  Nice that they finally (today) got around to declaring a global emergency, and for a refreshing change it wasn't proclaimed by a 16-year-old screaming about the climate.
 
Andrew Cuomo and the irony of it all:  I couldn't resist descending into actual thought when I saw a news photo this week of New York's governor visiting and honoring the dead at Auschwitz.  I wonder if Cuomo, long intent upon screwing with NY's Second Amendment rights through succeeding bits of legislation, can understand that many Jews and others who perished in concentration camps were victims because their firearms had been confiscated by Nazis and  GOVERNMENT sympathizers.  Cuomo's views on gun "control" -- and may I add, hello-o-o-o-o to Virginia and its black face freak governor -- are exactly the recipe for condemning the words, "Never again" to the land of null and void.  Interesting, too, that Cuomo is all for the legalization of toxin-filled "recreational" marijuana use among adults in NY, while wagging his no-no finger at the vape industry.

The impeachment Follies of 2020:  The reticence of congressional reps on both sides of the aisle to explore the Biden/Ukraine story simply demonstrates that Congress houses many dirty hands aware of closeted financial skeletons -- denizens of the same swamp Trump attempts to clean up as those devouring the political feedbag  try to oust him, election ballots be damned.  Which reminds me. . .

UFO Disclosure:  I'm old enough not to care, so let me remind friends and acquaintances in the UFO research arena that I will never applaud the Clintons, Podesta, Harry Reid or any hopefuls of the left who some believe are absolutely the champions and last word in gaining UFO "disclosure."  Why?  Baggage.  Robert-o no trust-o.