Wednesday, October 20, 2021

From Ultra to Hyper

Nations seem to run on secrets more than truth. When national defense is involved, secrets can be our friends -- if they remain OUR secrets.

Apparently, China had a secret, something we would have known about in "the old days" of superb CIA or NSA surveillance.  Or maybe the USA did know about this little gem all along, choosing not to tell us until now.

By "now" we reference China's alleged firing of a nuke-capable missile that travels five times the speed of sound, almost impossible to track conventionally and able to destroy targeted areas even before a rival nation's military can react.

Assuming this is true, and who knows what's real anymore, the world may have a brand new concern.  It's not the China part so much as it's the Chinese communist overseers.  If they're attempting to make a good case for capturing Taiwan with little resistance -- not to be regressive, but Taiwan is THE place where all the good computer chips are created -- they may have succeeded.  Or at least they may believe so.

This is no mystery.  While the rest of us in the USA were making every domestic problem about race or climate change or clamoring for phony impeachments of Donald Trump, or spending all of our energy in attempting to convince ourselves that illegal immigrants are great and a man can have periods and babies, the Chinese (and Russians, for that matter -- and don't forget North Korea's gruesome twosome, Kim and his sister Lady Dracula-Kim) chuckled and worked and worked and worked some more on stealth technology  which did not need to be stealth-like for long.

Are we screwed?  Don't ask me, my only intelligence experience involved scaring, I mean treating already apprehensive patients in Air Force hospitals, and I don't think that has any connection to military intelligence.

China?  Well, had I spent my days and nights stealing technology from primarily the United States, I imagine I would have quite the military arsenal myself.

Anyway, the hypersonic aspect of the missile story intrigued me in terms of nostalgia.  I was thinking about the late 1960s and early 1970s when dealing with patients receiving ultrasonic therapy in those already noted Air Force hospitals, and these were the years when the very nature of ultrasound as either treatment or potential injurer weighed on my mind.  This was the Vietnam Era, and ultrasound was not yet conceived as, or at least not widely available as a diagnostic tool used to determine pregnancies and fetus health.  However, its benefits were already known as a fog-eliminator on some runways years before.

If you're a new reader, this is the point where I spring a surprise on you and admit that I had been interested in UFOs since the fifties became the sixties, and knowing what I had read about UFO theories it wasn't a stretch for me to contemplate whether UFOs might in some way incorporate sound -- ultrasound -- into their very fabric of existence.  This eventually led to a short speculative article I wrote for the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization in 1970, printed in a 1971 issue of the organization's A.P.R.O Bulletin.



In 1976 I expanded upon the ultrasound theory for an article which appeared in Official UFO, primarily a national newsstand and subscription magazine edited by a series of good editors, but published by a notoriously troubled family whose nevertheless interesting reputations may be accessed elsewhere on the Internet.

A year before the Official UFO article appeared, former NASA scientist Paul R. Hill finished writing his book, Unconventional Flying Objects:  A Scientific Analysis (1975, Hampton Roads Publishing Co.), but soon passed away, leaving his daughter to publish the volume containing scientific theories he had considered for years.  Unknown to me until much later, Hill had quoted my original 1971 A.P.R.O. Bulletin article, rightfully taking me to task for believing that a substantial medium would be necessary for high-energy propulsion of ultrasonic waves through the air.  Paul Hill believed otherwise, and I was glad he laid it out because it gave more credence to the possibility that at least SOME UFO activity may incorporate sound in some manner to account for UFO-related injuries and other effects.

So I'm just thinking back, then and now, and in the span of only a few decades technology has taken us from the sounds of Alexander Graham Bell on the first telephone, to ultrasound as a medical diagnostic tool, to a refrigerant aid, crowd dispersal tool, to (maybe) a UFO-related option, and now from ultrasound to the potentially screaming horrors of hypersound.  So much for using science for our own good.



Though I do admit, rather painfully now, that something akin to microwaves appear to be a more substantial possibility where UFOs are concerned -- and because I worked with both ultrasound and therapeutic microwave technology in the Air Force, I occasionally puzzle myself as to why I saw more promise in sound than in microwave energy.  Fortunately, other researchers have covered the microwave aspect very well, and various microwave effects actually can be similar to what ultrasound can do.

The arms race never sleeps.  I would like to believe that the USA has options against hypersonic weaponry.  If so, great.  If not, maybe a little less fuss over trivial stuff  and a lot more fuss over our defense capabilities is essential.